Who I Am

My photo
She sits amid penguins and knits and knits and knits.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I have been a bad blogger, so sue me!

Okay, so I have been a bad blogger and haven't posted since July. I had issues. It is a long story, but the brunt of it is that I enter my knitting in The California Midstate Fair ( http://www.midstatefair.com/) every summer. Not only was my
Magickal Earth Shawl



mishandled by being placed on ASTROTURF, someone, in their infinite wisdom of all things knit, decided to judge it as a CROCHETED TABLECLOTH!!!!! Ordinarily this would not bother me, but it was knit of a very fine lace yarn on 2.5 mm needles. Here are my notes from Ravelry on this project.
"I did this one in an insanely short amount of time. I worked on this 8 to 16 hours a day, nearly 7 days a week for 2 months and 1 day. I lost a week because I frogged 32 rows (32,488 stitches approx.) of the Pine Tree Motif, as I did not like the way the corners looked. I modified the center to be an 8 Spoked Wheel instead of The Moon Pattern that is specified in the pattern. When I got to the center, the Wheel of the Year seemed to make more sense than The Moon. ::::Shrugs::: I like the way it ended up. I rate this “Difficult” not because it really is difficult to do, but the shear insanity of the scope of the thing. It was a total labor of love for a friend."
Bear in mind that I made this shawl for said friend on the condition that it would be entered in the fair. It is a tradition with me to enter a lace shawl. I sort of justify knitting yet another lace shawl this way. But I digress.
One would think that someone chosen to judge the Home Arts division of a county fair would be able to discern the disparities between items that have been knit and crocheted.
The point of this ramble is that I was indignant, insulted, hurt, enraged and nigh on to tears about this. I worried that when I picked up my items that the shawl would be damaged to the point that I would not be able to send it on to the person it was intended for and that all my work was for naught. It was a bit snagged, but I repaired it with no signs of damage. I mailed the labor of love off, yesterday. I have released the shawl and I have released most of the negative feelings associated with the Unfortunate Event. I am still indignant. So are some of my fellow knitters who know the story. We have a right to be.
Crochet tablecolth, indeed.
By the way, it won 3rd place.

1 comment:

Nic said...

That is nuts! I would have been sooooo MAD! What dorks!

Imagine, if you came 3rd in the crochet competition you couldda WON the knitted lace competition! And I don't think the person who came 4th in the crochet judging could have been pleased neither.

I hope you complained.

Lovely work by the way!